Thermaline: Vacuum Freeze Drying and Straightening of Wet Books
Thermaline® is a vacuum freeze-drying process in which books are restrained from warping and distorting as water is removed. The process compresses books back into their natural shapes, minimizing cover board warpage.
An exclusive process patented by Document Reprocessors, Thermaline is very reliable and allows most books to be returned directly to shelves with no additional restoration required.
During the Thermaline process, materials are loaded into a vacuum chamber which, by reducing the pressure along with the use of controlled heat, vaporizes the water/ice. The resulting vapor is removed from the chamber by specially-designed vacuum pumps. The extracted and isolated vapor is then heated and converted to steam and exhausted to the atmosphere. Thus, the only emission is steam (212°F at sea level).
Thermaline offers many benefits, including:
- Restrains books from warping and distorting as water is removed.
- Compresses books back into a more natural shape.
- Minimizes cover board warpage.
- Reduces the need to rebind books by up to 90% as a result of straightening during compression.
- Allows most books to be returned directly to shelves with no additional restoration required.
- State-of-the-art methods provide mechanical straightening as well as complete drying.
To learn more about Document Reprocessors' exclusive Thermaline® vacuum freeze drying and straightening process for water-damaged books, please take a tour of our operations through our comprehensive slideshow, or view the Document Reprocessors informational video and find out how we can assist you when disaster strikes.